This blog is a record of my family, our adventures, and life as we know it. I named it after the movie "It's a Wonderful Life", because no matter what happens, good or bad, up or down, our life may not always be wonderful (or perfect), but it will always be a "Lacy Life", and that's wonderful to us!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kitchen Makeover.

  We have lived in the same house for over 14 years now.  For anyone that has ever bought a house, or even just moved from one place to another, you know that feeling of "dreaming" of what this new space could be with just a little effort...right?  I think this is especially true for women.  We see a room with white walls and look at it as a blank canvas awaiting our creative input.  We immediately want to make it beautiful in some way... maybe it's curtains, new paint, a few pictures hung on the walls, a border...the list of things you can do to beautify a room is endless!  Thankfully we live in a time and place where these types of things are readily available and relatively inexpensive.  It makes beautifying a room fairly easy and attainable for pretty much everyone.

  Back to the story of where we've lived for the past 14+ years.  :)  Since the first time we looked at this house, even before purchasing it, I've wanted to change the counter tops in the kitchen.  You know how it is, women out there, you spend the BULK of your time in the kitchen, so you buy a house based on if the kitchen will "fit" or "work" or NOT... right?  Now, the counter tops in my kitchen WERE perfectly functional, however they were NOT perfectly neutral!  :)  In fact, they were so not-neutral, that I've had a slate BLUE kitchen for the past 14+ years in this house!  And guess what?  My kitchen was BLUE in the townhouse we lived in prior to that, and in my apartment prior to that, so I have actually had a BLUE kitchen for over half of my life, and for all of my adult "living on my own" life!  LOL! 

  Please don't mistake my ramblings as complaining, I am, and always have been, very thankful for this beautiful house the Lord has provided for my family.  But even though I am very thankful for this house, like I mentioned before, there are always those things that you want to change and/or do to make the house more usable, functional, and yes, sometimes just more beautiful.  :) 

  Here are some before, during, and after pictures of the semi-makeover (more like a face-lift) that I recently got in my kitchen.  Enjoy the tour!

BEFORE (Please excuse my dirty old sink, I didn't bother cleaning it since I knew I was getting a new one!)...
DURING (YAY!  Finally, the BLUE is in my driveway, and NOT in my kitchen!)...
AFTER...
  What a difference a new counter top and sink make!  This makeover came in at just around $700, which included all supplies, the counter top, sink, and faucet, and hiring the job out, so that my husband didn't have to do the work himself this time.  That was a real blessing for him, as he pretty much does all of the repairs, updating, and fixing up around here.  However, since our contractor had to re-schedule from Wednesday to Saturday, and my dear husband was home during the install, he found himself unable to resist staying out of the "work zone" the whole day, and he did end up helping out quite a bit!  LOL!  :)

Thanks for reading!
It's a Lacy Life

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! Very nice you guys... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way 2 go sister-in-law! I will need your contractors name...my kitchen is much smaller...and ven older...so I'm overdue for a kitchen makeover! LOL.
    Oh that's right Mr. Nathaniel is in college...yes Lord I know patience is a virtue! Congrats on your makeover that's always fun!

    ReplyDelete